This past weekend, we made a mini vacation up to the Leading Ladies Marathon in Spearfish, SD. Why Leading Ladies? I needed a marathon 4-5 weeks before the 100K World Champs, preferably within driving distance. I could test out my Team USA uniform (although I’ll likely wear the briefs and airborne top for Worlds). I had Leading Ladies on my Excel spreadsheet as a possibility for getting a win in South Dakota. Between the feedback from my friends and the positive comments for the race on Marathonguide.com, I was super pumped up to see a new part of the country and meet all my objectives!
Ok, so I was super stoked to run a womens-only marathon in a beautiful part of the country… and even more stoked when I got a very nice and welcoming email back from the race director, Elaine Doll-Dunn (click her link to read about this brilliant woman!). I did a little bit of research about ~Spearfish, the race, sightseeing, and Elaine herself… but man, I clearly didn’t do enough research on Elaine! Upon arriving in Spearfish and meeting Elaine, I learned that:
- She has 7 children, 20 grandchildren, and 8 great-grandchildren
- She’s 77 years YOUNG and started running in her 40’s after having kids
- She’s run 125 marathons, has a PR in the 3:40’s, and has 47,700 lifetime miles on her legs!
- The woman both looks and feels freakin’ great for her age
- She started Leading Ladies to bring women together in her special hometown and experience the beauty of the Spearfish Canyon
It gets even better if you click her website and read about her! I wanna be like Elaine when I grow up- she is the heart of Leading Ladies!!! [Read more…]